Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Kindness never tasted so good


I haven't felt like cooking lately so I've been lax on posting recipes. But today I was given an easy solution to my laziness and lack of motivation. The solution: Post food someone else prepared!

In our office we have many thoughtful and generous patients that we are especially fond of. Today one of my very favorite patients, Gail, brought in lunch for our whole team. I asked her why she was so good to us, and she said, "Just cause I enjoy it." I wish I had a heart that loving and giving. But since I don't I'm glad to be on the receiving end of the ones that do.

This amazing woman brought in Caravan rolls, fruit salad, Japanese salad, a vegetable tray, and assorted sweets, crackers, nuts, and chocolates. It was lovely, thoughtful, and Oh, so delicious.

Today's feature recipe is the Japanese salad. She said her girls grew up on this salad, and they still ask her to make it for gatherings.

GAIL'S GIRLS JAPANESE SALAD

2 bags of shredded cabbage (or one head cabbage shredded)
2 bunches green onions, chopped
2 or 3 pkgs Top Ramen (use only the noodles) crush slightly
1 cup sunflower seeds
½ to 1 cup sliced of slivered almonds

Saute the seeds and almonds in a skillet with a little vegetable oil until golden brown, stirring often. Let cool.

DRESSING
1 cup vegetable oil
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. Salt
6 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (I use Nakano Brand “Original” flavor)

Mix all salad ingredients together at serving time and pour dressing over and toss.

SERVES: A crowd of ten or more.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Gail's lunch with your readers. This seems like a nice way to transport a lunch and offer people a tasty alternative to fast-food or bringing a soggy sandwich. It sounds like your office not only has great employees, but great customers, too. You are blessed to work in such a positive environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary, I am blessed to be able to go to work every day and be with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel terrible it's taken me so very long to make a comment about this posting (you knew I would, eventually)... what can I say? Except that I am one of Gail's girls, and I am so terribly proud she's my mom... This salad is great anytime of year, holidays, campouts, BBQ's, and just about any spring gathering... and don't forget a snappy Pinot Grigo. Thank you Callicook for featuring my mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cyrhen, I always forget to suggest a wine pairing. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete