Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Children love to create in the kitchen



I'd like to introduce you to my sous chef, Calico. She's a wonderful cooking partner, and she isn't afraid to experiment with new foods. But she is most experienced in determining fresh and wholesome flavors.

One of her strengths is an ability to clearly let you know she doesn't like the taste of something you've whipped up. There are times when all of us could use that kind of honesty in the kitchen. Sometimes politeness gets in the way of an honest assessment of the results of a new recipe.

Calico is also quite bold in her creations. In this photo, she is whisking equal parts brown mustard and grape jelly, which believe it or not, made a very delectable sauce for crock-pot cocktail meatballs.

I actually got this recipe from Carla, one of the most creative cooks I know. She always has some unique trick up her sleeve. She said that mixing equal parts apricot jam and thousand island dressing makes a great meatball sauce too, but the color isn't very pretty. What I love about these recipes is they are so easy. So easy, even a 2 year old can make them.



CROCK POT MEATBALLS

1 large jar Guldens brown mustard
1 large jar grape jelly
1 bag frozen meatballs, any kind

Warm grape jelly in microwave until no longer gelled. Mix with equal parts brown mustard. Place frozen meatballs in crock pot and pour mustard/jelly mixture over the top. Stir together. Heat until meatballs are hot. Serve with toothpicks.

I look forward to future cooking adventures with Calico helping me in the kitchen.

14 comments:

  1. What a darling sous chef... and so determined in this photo, too. You are very blessed, CaliCook, to have a minature cooker called Calico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed. I think she is going to teach me a thing or two in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to include this little one in your cooking blog. She's definitely a sweetheart. Your cooking blog always lifts my day and I thank you for that bit of morning inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My helper always gets a bit of fur into the mix....thanks for this simple recipe, one I will definitely try. Also, we just purchased a motorhome, any great ideas for "camping out" foods or cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fab recipe, how ever did you dream this one up? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyren, a dear friend told me about this one. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, what kind of helper do you have??? I will look into easy camping recipes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so precious to have your grandchildren in the kitchen with you. This will be a memory she will pass on to her children and grandchildren. You've continued a family tradition, and it wilol naturally pass on for generations. Sort of the circle of life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suz...I LOVE that circle of life analogy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I luv this blog. It is so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Anon. And I love my followers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Be very careful, your sous cheif might be a spy. The word on the street is she might be working on a new blog herself and some say she will even be opening a new restraunt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It wouldn't surprise me. She is very talented.

    ReplyDelete